Terms of Reference for a Finance Manager
- Job TypeFull Time
- QualificationBA / CPA-K
- Experience7 years
- DepartmentFinance/ Administration/Human Resources
Background: The African Institute for Health and Development (AIHD) is a non‐profit, Non‐Governmental Organization (NGO) established in June 2004 in Nairobi, Kenya by a group of accomplished African researchers and academicians. The Institute mainly focuses on implementing evidence-based programmes and conducting research, training and advocacy on health and development issues that are contextually relevant to Kenya and the African continent. While implementing its programmes, AIHD works with in partnership with the National and County Governments in Kenya, and in collaboration with local, national, regional, and international partners. The Institute is involved in policy formulation on key development issues such as poverty alleviation, gender mainstreaming, health promotion, Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs), Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs), social protection, among others. Over the years, the AIHD has acquired experience and expertise to improve well-being of individuals, communities, the nation, and region at large. To this end, the Institute has implemented programmes in several African countries including but not limited to, Kenya, Ghana, Uganda, Ethiopia, Tanzania, and Zambia.
Job summary: The AIHD is seeking to recruit a Finance Manager who will be responsible for the financial management in accordance with the AIHD’s standards and support programme/project implementation.
- Provides leadership and support for all project financial management areas including, accounting, payments, reporting systems and procedures.
- Ensures all activities related to financial management are carried out in conformance with policies and procedures established by the AIHD and the donors.
- Coordinates with related programme staff to ensure that project budgets, accounting, and fiscal control procedures are implemented effectively.
- Review and approve the termination payment for all short-term staff and field officers.
- Oversees the monitoring and review of subaward financial reports to ensure compliance with subaward budgets and AIHD policies.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with regulatory institutions, consultants, management, and staff.
- Keeps abreast with the latest trends in financial accounting and mentor staff.
- Provides support to the internal and external audit functions.
- Maintain overall budget control and monitor cash flows.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Provide regular financial analysis and reports.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field from recognized institution is required.
- Must be a holder of CPA-K.
- Knowledge in generally accepted accounting, budgeting, and fiscal control principles.
- Demonstrated experience and skills in developing and managing large budgets.
- Relevant skills in automated accounting software systems and database spreadsheets.
- Experience building capacity in financial management of community-based organizations and implementing partners.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with NGO partners, community-based organizations, and international donor agencies.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities in financial management expertise.
- Strong interpersonal, writing, and oral presentation skills in English.
- Ability to work independently and manage a high-volume workflow.
- Relevant computer software skills and familiarity with accounting software (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office).
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience establishing and maintaining good relationships with a wide variety of professionals and organizations.
- At least seven (7) years of relevant experience in administrative and financial management, including overseeing the finance and operations of equally large and complex projects in a humanitarian/NGO context.
- Managing performance and development.
- Empowering and building trust.
- Managing resources to optimize results.
AIHD provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. It prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to gender, ethnic group, marital status, disability status, political and religion ideology