Terms of Reference for an Administration/Human Resource Officer
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification Diploma
- Experience 3- 5 years
- Location Nairobi
- Job Field Administration/Human Resource and Management
Position: Administration/HR Officer
Background: The African Institute for Health and Development (AIHD) is a non‐profit, Non‐Governmental Organization (NGO) established in June 2004 in Nairobi, Kenya by a group of accomplished African researchers and academicians. The Institute mainly focuses on implementing evidence-based programmes and conducting research, training and advocacy on health and development issues that are contextually relevant to Kenya and the African continent in partnership with the National and County Governments in Kenya, and working in collaboration with local, national, regional, and international partners. The AIHD is involved in policy formulation on key development issues such as poverty alleviation, gender mainstreaming, health promotion, Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs), Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs), social protection, among others. Over the years, the AIHD has acquired experience and expertise to improve well-being of individuals, communities, the nation, and region at large. To this end, the Institute has implemented programmes in several African countries including but not limited to, Kenya, Ghana, Uganda, Ethiopia, Tanzania, and Zambia.
Job summary: The AIHD is seeking to recruit an Administration/HR Officer to support the Administration/Human Resources Department. The administration/HR Officer will support the day-to-day activities of our Human Resources Department. The HR& Admin Officer will act as the point of contact for all employees, providing administrative support and managing queries. S/he will process employee data, update company policies, and assist in the hiring process. Ultimately, s/he should be able to ensure our administrative activities run smoothly on a daily and long-term basis.
- ·Receiving and processing communication channels, including email and telephone.
- ·Ensure functionality of necessary office equipment and requisitioning new equipment and supplies as needed.
- ·Support in organizing events both internal and external, including ordering materials and requisitioning meeting spaces.
- ·Maintaining physical and digital personnel records like employment contracts.
- ·Update internal databases with new hire information.
- Gather payroll data like bank accounts and working days for temporary staff, interns, and consultants.
- Manage leave days and sick off using the recommended HR systems.
- Publish and remove job ads.
- Schedule job interviews and contact candidates as needed.
- Prepare reports and presentations on HR-related metrics like total number of hires by department.
- ·Creating reports and memos as needed by the management and programme team.
- ·Update the organization’s policies as needed.
- ·Undertaking all logistical travel plans for project teams.
- ·Making hotel reservations, airport transfers, security clearances; informing all relevant parties and project team travel plans in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- ·Performing any other assigned duties related to project implementation and administrative tasks as needed.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Must be a Holder of a Diploma or higher in Administration/Human Resource or related field from a recognized institution.
- ·Work experience as an HR& Admin Officer, HR Administrative Assistant, or similar role.
- ·Familiarity with Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS).
- ·Basic knowledge of labor legislation.
- Experience using spreadsheets.
- Experience in Administration/Human Resource will be an added advantage.
- The ability to keep sensitive information confidential.
- Must be approachable and helpful.
- Good ethical judgement.
- High attention to detail and strong organizational skills, planning and time-management skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks against tight deadlines.
- Must be proficient in use of Microsoft Office suite of products, with advanced skills in Excel.
- Requires excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Must have demonstrated ability to successfully establish effective interpersonal relationships with a variety of management and staff and work independently toward project deliverables.
- Experience in liaising with government agencies and or donors is an asset.
AIHD provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. It prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to gender, ethnic group, marital status, disability status, political and religion ideology.